Palakkad Fort

Posted by Admin | 9:53 AM

Palakkad Fort

Palakkad Fort is one of the best preserved Forts in Kerala, was built by Mysore's Haider Ali in 1766 AD. In 1790, the Fort was taken over and renovated by the British.This old granite Fort is situated in the very heart of Palakkad town.
Built By Haider Ali in 1790 . Also known as Tipu's Fort, Palakkad Fort was supposedly built to hasten communication between Coimbatore and the West Coast. In 1784 AD, after a siege lasting eleven days, the British Colonel, Fullerton stormed the Fort. It later fell into the hands of the Zamorin's troops but was recaptured by the British in 1790 AD. Martyr's Column, Open Air Auditorium called "Rappadi" are located in the spacious grounds of the Fort, now preserved by the Archaeological Survey Of India. There is also a Children's park on one of the sides of the Fort.

0 comments