Kumaranallur village is situated nearly 4 kms northwests of Kottayam town. Enjoying the beauty of nature and radiating the glory of ancient civilization, there remains a two storied magnificent temple gate tower. The temple faces to the east. A golden flag staff welcomes the devotees who enter the temple through the east gate. The flag staff was erected in 1089 M.E by the local people. The golden top-dome was offered by the Uthram Thirunal Marthanda Varma, the brother of Swathi Thirunal Maharaj in the year 102 M.E. From the gate tower, at some distance to the north, there is a large temple tank and opposite of this there exists the Devaswom palace.

The way, through the main gate, leads to an elephant shed. The idol of ‘Vana Durga' is just at the south-western corner. Like the Panachickal Devi at Vaikom temple, here also the Goddess remains in the open air, popularly known as the ‘Alunkal Devi'.

The shrine is round in shape and the large building around it proclaims of dignity of the temple. The artistic work above the altar is attractive and commendable. the roof is thatched with copper sheets. At the north western part of the alter is situated an idol of Sree Dharma Sastha. On the altar there is an oil lamp in which 24 wicks can be lit. Chempakaseri Rajah, while he was in power used this lamp in front of this family deity at the palace, but after the invasion of his territory by Marthanda Varma, this auspecious lamp was offered to Kumaranallur temple.

One can have a divine sight only if he or she stands in front of the altar. The stone image of the Goddess is about 3” high in standing position. Wearing red silk and ornaments the Goddess looks beautiful and showers her blessings upon the worshippers.

Anointing of turmeric powder is the favourite offering to the deity. The offered powder s the favourite offering tot he deity. The offered powder is given to the worshippers as ‘Prasadom'.

At his temple the kindling of lights for worshipping the deity in conducted not at dusk but only after the supper ceremonial offerings. It is believed that the trinities will also be present on this occasion.

The important festival begin on the day of ‘Karthika' in Vrichikom (November/December) and ‘Arat' is one the day of astro ‘Rohini'. A large number of people will wait for the Goddess on their return journey after the divine bath. The divine sight on this day is considered to be quite an occasion for remission of one's sins.

It is compulsory to have elephants during the spectacular procession of the deity and only female elephants are used for the purpose.

It is said that the Goddess has a fancy for hearing the playing of drums. During Karthika festival, in addition to the usual rituals, there will be elaborate playing of drums, Nagaswaram and a wide variety of entertainments.

It is said that the consecration of the idol had been performed by Kulasekhara Varman(A.D 800-820). He is considered to be the first Rajah of the Kulasekhara dynasty. So the temple must be about 1300 years old.

The Kulasekharas were very famous during 9th and 10th centuries. They are all firm believers and worshippers of Goddess Karthayani. Large areas of land and other properties were given to the temple for this development. However, by the death of Bhaskara Ravi Varma, the pomp and spendour of the Kulasekhara dynasty suffered declension. Later the trusteeship management of the temples was taken over by the Nampoothiris.

Sree Chithira Thirunal's Temple Entry Proclamation (in 1112 M.E.) enabled all Harijans to enter the temples. At this time Gandhiji, the father of Our Nation, paid a visit to this temple.